New need help with error message ...

Kurt Knippel

This topic is 8249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

You are telling Filemaker to use the "File1::Name to File2::Name" relationship to lookup the value for Name. So Filemaker does not know the Name and cannot lookup the name, because it does not know the name.

See the problem?

What are you trying to accomplish? Just explain it in plain english or pseudo-code and either you will see the solution or we might be able to point you in the correct direction.

• Newbies

Hi evryone,

OK, I'm kinda new at relational data bases and went through the users guide. I defined a relationship between to databases as Names (The subject). I linked to similar "match fields" and identified that there are several other fields in my related document which I want to retrieve to my "master." Next, I hit done. I then tried to define fields

and retrieve the related file information to my master document. Now, I still don't understand why I'm not able to retrieve these other fields.

I want to create a relationship between two (2) similar files in FM 5.0. After following the instructions and creating a relationship (Name:Name or f1:f1 both text fields) between the files - I then proceed to "define fields" double clicking on my "Name" or "f1" relationship field and checking "lookup." I get the "copy screen" then select to copy the relationship field "Name" or "f1" from the other relationship file .. I then get the error message "This lookup uses the field "Name" or "f1" in its definition. Choose another field." When I choose another field, the same error message is repeated. What am I not understanding?

NOTE: Name or f1 are the same field redefined to try and solve the error message.

Thanks,

Rick

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: Rick Gold ]

This topic is 8249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.