Publishing a FM Server hosted file to the Net

This topic is 6693 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Situation is basically this, i have FM Server set up, all good as more than 5 users are always accessing the database locally... However, i have no need for a more than 10 users to be able to access the database remotley, so my question is, how do i keep the database locally hosted on FM Server while publishing it to web using a standard copy of File maker... is it just like hosting the file if it was local to the copy of FM?

Cheers, Genx

You can no longer use a client copy of FMP to web enable a FMS hosted database... this was always seen as a security weakness of FMP in the past. Now you either have to host with FMS, and use Server Advanced to web publish, or use FMP to both host and web publish (where you're limited to 5 concurrent FMP and 5 concurrent Web clients)

There are other ways to enable remote access besides web as well. Citrix or Terminal Services work well over LANs, or for smaller deployments, even screen sharing software like Timbuktu will do.

So pretty much unless i want to use terminal services or vnc to remotley access, i have no choice but to purchase server advanced?... sigh... could you host it through fm 7 or did a patch rule that out?

Edited by Guest

ok, 3 questions

1) is it possible to have the database locally hosted on FMS and externally hosted through a provider such as advertised lol

2) What sort of performance could you in reality expect over a 1024 shared connection between 10 users

3) Is there any sort of limit on the user numbers?

Cheers, Genx

is it possible to have the database locally hosted on FMS and externally hosted through a provider such as advertised

http://www.worldsync.com/

What sort of performance could you in reality expect over a 1024 shared connection between 10 users

You're probably aware of the sillyness in your question?? What is highest a canonblast or the Eifel Tower and how do they perform on a windy day :

Some database structures scales well and others don't - when it comes down to it, is it the design your throw into the matter - that dictates how well it works. Neither a normailized structure nor very simple things like scrollbars in layouts should be ignored.

Both being ignored to some extend makes the performance being lightyears from an effective approach that sparkels by showing only small chunks of information at a time - in a shared solution must "nice to knows" really be scrutinized from the "need to knows"

Is there any sort of limit on the user numbers?

Look at the reply to question 1) and your wallet!!!

--sd

lol, thanks for the great metaphores :.... oh yeah and the info...

also though a quick reference back to my original question... was it possible to host on both FMS local and FM external in FM 7?

: Cheers, Genx

Yes you syncronize them with mr. Ericsons thingy that unfortunately has a pricetag very near the price to what a FMSA goes for.

But why not run the entire organization via a web-interface- when this is posible:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/171558/post/186381/hl//#186381

--sd

Hmmm, yeah and i suppose the cost would be reduced at least a bit as a result of no need for FM licenses...and then further with the lack of need for FMSA.. will look into it but i still dont think the performance could ever be nearly as good as when the thing is hosted locally...no matter the database structure... then again i could provide my clients with alternative options.... its all good, thanks for help

Genx

This topic is 6693 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.