Viewing category from another table

d²c

This topic is 6673 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am not sure I am in the right section of this forum, if this post should be in a different category let me know and I'll change it.

Here's my problem:

I currently have one table called STUDENTS.

In this table there's a field called CLASS (from the student).

Now, what I am trying to do is get a list of all students in each class. I think I need a second table called class and make a field CLASS ID. But when I try to make this I keep getting a many-to-many relationship, result: on the layout my data is invalid...

How can I filter these students from each class (let's say in a dropdown list), so I can choose which one to edit?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

greetz

im confused, do you want to edit the students or the class... or the students in a particular class?... if the last why dont you just do a search...

Anyway truth be told you should probably have a seperate table for classes than students and have a relationship between classes and students by the class name or class ID or something which you could choose from students... that way you could view a list through a portal of all students in that class from a layout that takes its info from the class table... and you could also store more detailed information about classes and draw that out through the relationship as well.

P.s. if you dont want the relationship to be many-to-many set the field you want to be the "one" to store a unique value.

Genx

This topic is 6673 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.