Allow User Abort [Off] atop every script?

This topic is 6663 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Do you have to put 'Allow User Abort [Off]' and 'Set Error Capture [On]' atop every script?

I want these settings to be in effect throughout my app, with every script. I believe they are the system default settings.

But after looking at various script examples and doing some tests myself, it seems you may have to keep reissuing them? Can anyone clarify? Thx.

Well you can make a subscript with a parameter that tells which of the 4 combinations you wish to use at this point in the main script, but the savings as such are pretty limited ....

But more important is it that you as the developer not get yourself locked out of a never-ending loop - which I beleive is the reasoning behind not making it a default setting. We all seems to make mistakes here and there to some extend.

--sd

I write every script with abort = off and capture = on, that way I know what the settings are at all times and I know the users cannot break the routines.

To answer the question though, once the abort/capture settings are stated for a script, those setting remain in place for the duration of the script, and sub-scripts, unless they are changed mid-process (you may actually want to turn off capture occasionally - locked records etc.).

Script defaults are capture = off, abort = on - that's if you don't set them explicitly.

A suggestion. I have a little script that gets executed at the beginning of (nearly) every script -

user abort off

hide status area (lock)

[it also saves the layout number so I can return to it]

While testing, I modify the sub-script to make life easy for myself and then fix it at the end to 'protect' users.

This topic is 6663 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.