Define Database blocked?

drbott

This topic is 6639 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm working on adding a little security to our solution but I still want some users to be able to do editing.

It seems that any Privilige Set I create blocks the Define>Database menu item.

Is there a way to have a Privilige Set that will allow access to the Define>Database menu item?

Hello drbott,

A privilege set that has access to the Define Database command in FileMaker can basically do anything at all within the file (redefine the schema, change calcs and relationships, add and delete fields and tables etc). So by definition, (in FileMaker terms) they have full access to the file - there is no provision for a user to have these fundamental privileges yet to not have access to other *less* fundamental areas of programming (eg layouts, scripts etc). If you think about it that makes sense (if you make changes to the database structure, you're nearly always going to have to make adjustments to layouts, scripts, value lists etc to bring them into line with the underlying changes).

Each FIleMaker file starts out by default with one [Full Access] Privilege Set. So if you want someone to have full access privileges, you should assign their account to the existing [Full Access] Privilege Set. IOW It makes no sense to have more than one privilege set with identical [Full Access] capabilities. :)

Yes, an identical set doesn't make sense. What I want is a set that allows the user access to define database, but disallows the deleting of records in certain situations.

My specific situation is that I don't want anyone (including myself!) deleting records when there are related resords that will be orphaned.

Is there no way to create a Privilege Set that allows access to the Define>Database?

This topic is 6639 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.