Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Yes/No Checkbox

Dale Mullen

This topic is 6665 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Although a relative neophyte to FileMaker (haven't used the application for years), in other databases (based on FileMaker such as in AppleWorks and old Apple versions of FM), I was easily able to insert a "check box" in my layout (one of the fields). The blank check box could easily be checked to indicate that a certain action or condition had been met or left blank to indicate "no", etc.

However, I cannot determine how to do this in FileMaker Pro 8.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,

Dale

If I understand you correctly, your best bet would be to use a "Radio Button Set" instead of "Check Box" since for a check box, one or more values can be checked. For a "Yes/No" scenerio, you wnat the user to be able to select only one of two options, hence, use radio buttons.

To do this,

Go to layout mode,

Double click on the field you want to be a radio button,

On the control style, dispaly as, select "radio button Set"

Then on dispaly values from, select define value list,

Click on Use custom values,

Type Yes

Type No

Then click OK and you are done.

You need to create a value list First. Lets call it YesChecked. The only value in it will be "Yes".

Then in layout mode, on the field that you want to add the checkbox to, you can right click and go to:

Field Control --> Setup.

Use the pulldown 'Display Syle'to select 'checkbox' and then the other pulldown, 'Display values from' to YesChecked.

Normally, you couldnt use a checkbox because a checkbox allows users to select more than 1 value and you would use a rdaio button instead, but in this scenario, since you only want them to either select it or deselected, it should be ok.

HTH

Any text field can be called a checkbox - just add or remove a check. If it's not formated as a checkbox it'll know when it's empty.

To click it on and off, make that text field a button with a Set Field script: Case( textfield="";"X").

David

• Newbies

Just a quick "thank you" to all who jumped in with replies and information on the settting up Check Boxes. All the information was useful and as suggested, I believe the radio buttons might best suit my needs in this situation.

Again, thanks.

Dale

This topic is 6665 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.