Upgrade from v.6 to v. 8

This topic is 6673 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

If I install vs. 8 will it automatically update my existing database I have in vs. 6?

If NOT, then if I have vs. 6 and another person in the office gets the new vs. 8, can I transfer a clone of my database to that new person and they can use it? In other words, will vs. 8 accept a vs. 6 database?

Thanks!!!

Hi

FMP 8 don't update automatically your FMP6 files.

If you double click a file, it will open with 6 !

But if you try to open an existing FMP6 file with the new release, the last one will convert the old file to the new format.

BTW FM8 will ask you if you want to convert and makes a new file with the .fp7 extension and will leave intact the original .fp5

Thanks but I'm a bit confused. It's ok if the files don't communciate because I'm not using a server or linking people. I just want to be able to give a file that I created in v.6 to other people in the office who will get the new version 8. I just want to make sure that if they have v. 8 installed that they will be able to open and use the v. 6 file that I created and will email to them.

oh, and you're saying too that if I update my computer with v. 8 it WILL ask me if I want to update my v. 6 file to v. 8 when I open it?

yes, but only if you try to open those files with 8.

BTW go to try the trial of FM8 ! :)

This topic is 6673 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.