Straddling versions

This topic is 6646 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Well, I design using FM Advanced 8.02. Some of our stations are 7.0v3 and some are 8.0v2. And we are using FM Server 7.0v4. I know they all work together. My problem is when designing. As I'm learning these new features, I keep wanting to use them! Management has 8.0v2 stations. There are a few features (such as Send/Save As Excel) I'd like to use for them. But before I did, I want to make sure that will work.

My thought is that the button can check Account (stored in a global at login) and if they have vs. 8, fire the script; else produce message saying nada. But I'm also unsure on which features Server 7 will accept! I wish I had a list of all new vs. 8 features and functions. And in next column, indicate whether it will work in vs. 7. Last column would indicate whether it would run on Server 7.

It is difficult to remember some new feature CAN'T be used in my design. But I use 8 anyway because I can take advantage of the new developer features. Is anyone else working in this split environment who might already have such a list? Thank you!

ps. Which is the more important next step right now - Upgrade to Server 8 or finish upgrading our vs. 7 stations?

LaRetta :wink2:

Edited by Guest

Pretty much any of the new features of 8 won't be available to v7 clients, but many of them will be usable if you stick with server 7 for a while.

Check out FMI knowledge base answer 5319...

v8 clients will be able to use new features except for things evaluated on the server, like the new calculation functions, and searches that rely on the new date search patterns. New UI features like xls, pdf, mail merge, drop-down calendars, tabs, custom menus, etc., will all work fine with v8 clients and v7 server.

I would upgrade the clients first (that's what I did anyway) Of course if you're using the WPE to do IWP, then you won't get any new IWP features until you upgrade the server.

Dana

Thanks so much, Dana!

I'm using 8 features prudently until we're fully on 8 but oh, is it ever tempting AND I'm afraid I'll use something because I'm used to it being in 8 - only to have it 'break' on 7 clients.

I guess I had better design very carefully.

Oh. What a concept. :giggle:

I'm even beginning to run into confusions, such as opening field behavior and not finding what I expect - they've moved some things (for the better). I'll be glad when we're fully stepped over. :wink2:

LaRetta

This topic is 6646 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.