Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Using BLAT to send email

Brudderman

This topic is 6642 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Has anyone used BLAT for sending email straight out of Filemaker on Windows? I'm hoping to find a small, simple sample file that shows the calculation field required to create the command line that BLAT needs.

In addition to the header info, I would have TO, SUBJECT, BODY and authentication.

Thanks for any pointers.

I have looked at Blat for direct mailing, but never followed up because I hoped for a cross-platform solution.

That said, blat's command syntax is pretty straightforward. The Blat command will look like:

-to -f -subject -body -server -pu -ppw

Presumably, you would store the sender, smtp server, pop username & password in Global fields in FM, and supply recipient, subject and body from the active record. You could create a calculation field:

MyMailField:

" -to " & RecipientEmail & " -f " & GlobalSender & " -subject " & MsgSubject & " -body " & Msgtext & " -server " & GlobalSmtpServer & " -pu " & GlobalUsername & " -ppw " & GlobalPassword

THanks, T-Square!

I see how this would work except for the Msgtext that goes with the -body argument. Most likely the body will contain several paragraphs, and I could substitute pipes (|) for them so that the body will be a single string of text. But once that is sent to BLAT, I'm not sure how the paragraphs get formed again in the email message itself. I may have missed that in the BLAT help (blat.net), but it is a bit sparse.

I guess I'll try to experiment some more. I was playing around with it trying to get the authentication right and eventually got a nasty letter from my ISP saying someone had reported me for trying to make unathorized logins. ???

James

This topic is 6642 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.