Server Maintenance This Week. ×

File Sharing problem

gaby78

This topic is 6627 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Please Help:

Here the situation:

- I have a network (3 PCs). The network is working fine (I can open MS Word, Excel files form any machine)

- FM Pro 7 is installed on 2 machines PC3 and PC1 (same version, same license key)

- The host is PC3 where the DB file resides that I want PC1 user to be able to open

- FM Network sharing is turned on in both machines

- FM Network sharing is turned on in the file that’s on PC3

- I enabled “Access via FM Network” in the Extended Privileges for the privilege sets that are assigned the user of PC1.

The file is open on the host (PC3). On PC1 I can see the file with its IP address in the Hosts panel and its name in the Available Files panel. The problem is I cannot open it. When I try to open it from PC1 (client) I get the following message “The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FM – License key conflict occurred with PC3”.

What am I missing?

Help please

If I understand correctly I have to purchase a new copy for every machine?

How come it says in their docs that with FM Pro 7 you can share a file with up to 5 users?

Is it the same thing with FM8? FileMaker claims that FM8 comes with built-in multi-user capabilities.

You're mixing concepts here, 5 simultanious users are allowed to access one filemaker license publishing via IWP ...that means thru webbrowsers ...which can do tremenous tasks for you, if you design your system with these limitations in mind.

Which boils down to a fewer availiable scriptsteps, and a more modal dialog between users and database.

--sd

• 4 weeks later...
  • Newbies

You're mixing concepts here, 5 simultanious users are allowed to access one filemaker license publishing via IWP ...that means thru webbrowsers ...which can do tremenous tasks for you, if you design your system with these limitations in mind.

Which boils down to a fewer availiable scriptsteps, and a more modal dialog between users and database.

--sd

Forgive my ignorance but does that mean if you want to share between five machines you need five seperate licence keys, or are you saying there is another way using a web browser?.

I like the original poster, I missunderstood the upto five user concept. I do have five FM6 licence keys but I suppose they wont work with fm 8. :

Is it possible to buy just the keys?

Pete

This topic is 6627 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.