getting information out of fields

This topic is 6667 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I am trying to get information out of a field on a specific layout of a database.

I have tried

go to layout "z"

get data of cell "x" of current record

set y to result

it cant get the data of the cell... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Is this AppleScript?

Don't be daft - it is AS but some of the premises are blured.

it cant get the data of the cell... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Always develope AS in Script Editor or similar, before embedding.

The problem is that cell needs to be shown on the layout, but going to that layout isn't required if you use the indentifier "table" e.g. "of table 1".

If the field isn't committed (...that is left by the cursor) will it return the empty string.

But usually does it pay off to reference the fields one by one by integers, and when you get a match issue a "name of cell n" where n is the integer that produced the match.

If the fieldtype is container do you need to play around with the "as record" statement that mostly compares to the things an email when browsed in a text editor makes out af an attachment.

By playing do I mean that I havn't tried it yet, you might be forced to save over the clipboard, and use tell application "Finder" since the term record exists both in filemaker as well as in the standard extensions AS uses.

--sd

This topic is 6667 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.