Server Maintenance This Week. ×

resort portals via relationships

expect

This topic is 8702 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

A white paper at http://tidb.filemaker.com/ti/FMPro?-db=ti.fp5&-format=detail.html&-lay=list&-op=eq&article=sorting%20records%20in%20portals&-recid=34402&-find=

claims you can use the <Sort related records> setting in the -Define Relationships- dialog to have different portals display the related records in different orders. This is what i am trying to do but not having any luck, using FMPro 4.1 on NT. When I set the relationship to sort the records in descending or custom order all rows in the portal display the same record duplicate times. Has anyone done this successfully? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

quote:

Originally posted by expect:

A white paper at

claims you can use the <Sort related records> setting in the -Define Relationships- dialog to have different portals display the related records in different orders. This is what i am trying to do but not having any luck, using FMPro 4.1 on NT. When I set the relationship to sort the records in descending or custom order all rows in the portal display the same record duplicate times. Has anyone done this successfully? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hmm, well I use this successfully all the time. Never even had a glich with it.

However this has nothing to do with the portals themselves, only the relationships. As long as you relationship/portal displays the correct information to begin with, just setting up a sort order should not cause any problems.

My thought is that you have some bad data that you just never noticed before. Now that you are sorting you are noticing the problems.

Most "bad data" problems that I run across are due to bad data entry, NOT a bug in the DBMS.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.inthescene.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8702 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.