Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Error message and install problems

This topic is 6643 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a PC running filemaker quite happily until this morning when I got the message "databases.exe has encountered a problem" in one of the windows error reporting boxes. When I looked at the details it mentioned winspool.drv so I copied a clean version of that file but to no avail. I then tried to re-install Filemaker but got the message that "setup cannot find the necessary files". This PC has windows installed in the D drive (rether than the normal C). I can install the program on other normal PC's so I assume it is something to do with the fact that windows isnt where filemaker wants it. Any ideas please on either problem?

regards

Ron Grout

I dont think its got anything to do with d drive, i've got 3 hard drives, my windows is installed on d drive, filemaker is also on this drive no problems. If worst comes to worst, you could do a clean install of windows.

~Genx

• Newbies

I was trying to avoid that if possible. I just can't see what caused the problem in the first place as nothing was done overnight!!

The CD will install on other machines which is why I suspected the D drive thing but perhaps not.

Thanks for your help.

Ron

When I looked at the details it mentioned winspool.drv so I copied a clean version of that file but to no avail.

Doing this is asking for trouble. That's how you break a Windows install quickly. system files and drivers typically have to go through an install process to make sure they are properly registered with the system and the system can update all internal references to it.

This topic is 6643 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.