A Dead Horse alive Again?

This topic is 6617 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ok, I know I have asked this before, but let me put it a different way.

Is there a way to do updates to a distributed app (file.usr) without losing any data and NOT using a plugin that costs $300.00? I realize this may be complicated, but I really need to do this, but I do not wish to pay $300.00 for a plugin. Any Advice??

Prior to making your runtime, include export scripts for all your tables, and in your "update version" call the export script in the original file, then call an import script in your new runtime.

~Genx

Look into the separation model; using that you can distribute a new interface file without affecting client data.

Having managed with export/import scripts over the years, I know they work, but I also know they can be a pain.

The Separation Model takes time to understand and set up--time that you might not want to expend. But it is an option.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Whether or not you seperate your interface from your data, this does not in anyway guarantee that you will not have to export/import your data. Updates are not always purely ... makeup style thing, i forget the word, oh right ... cosmetic. Sometimes they are structural and more fields or tables are added etc. So the point remains that you would need to utilize these scripts, though looking into the seperation models might still be very useful.

~Genx

This topic is 6617 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.