Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Column names in Table Layout View

Dean Klear

This topic is 6616 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Does anyone know if there's a way to change the column titles for the table layout view? I'm trying FM for the first time, and I've done simple websites with PHP/MySQL.

I tried adding labels, and I've poked around for an hour now. Thanks in advance!

column_name.png

Edited by Guest

Hi Dean, and welcome to the Forum.

Please don't link us to other sites to view an attachment that you could just Attach a post here. I got two popups just to so I could see you example.

The Table View is very basic. To do what you want, you need to create a new layout using the List / Report View Option.

HTH

Lee

If you are planning to never change the column's width and loose some other "view as Table" features, you can even choose to:

1) flag the box "Include Header part" and write there the column names

2) Deflag the box "Include column headers"

• Newbies

Thanks for your quick reponse (I have fixed my attachment above). Have either of you read any books that really illuminated what FileMaker "wants" you to do? I really have a hard time doing thins unless I understand the reasoning behind them.

For example, should I use "First Name" as a field name or "CustNameFirst?" In PHP, naming conventions really come in handy down the road, but I wonder if FileMaker's market is so different that it will make it more difficult.

Have either of you read any books that really illuminated what FileMaker "wants" you to do? I really have a hard time doing thins unless I understand the reasoning behind them.

For example, should I use "First Name" as a field name or "CustNameFirst?" In PHP, naming conventions really come in handy down the road, but I wonder if FileMaker's market is so different that it will make it more difficult.

There are several good books that have been recommended in our [color:blue]Resource Topic Area. There are some good White Papers (PDFs) available, start by looking at

White Paper for FMP Novices Here

or these three, Standards (v6 and before), CoreSolutions_FMP_Naming_Standards.pdf, and FMP_Development_Conventions.pdf here

HTH

Lee

This topic is 6616 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.