Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Linking 2 databases (HELP PLEASE!!)

mig1980

This topic is 6618 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all. I have a bit of a dilemma. This is regarding FileMaker Pro 6.

I have two databases (one new and one with records) that I want to link together. I want to be able to link all fields to the 2nd database and be able to run a find with any of the fields and have it pull up all of the fields. Example, Enter a job number and have it pull from the 2nd database, the location, customer name, etc. (which are all fields located in both databases). How can I do this?

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out on this. Let me know.

Thanks,

Miguel

Sounds like your need a basic Relationship using your Job Number field as the Key field.

For an overview of how to do this, check out your user manual, or the Online Help by searching for [color:blue]About relationships.

HTH

Lee

Hi there. Thanks for the info. I have another dilemma that was just explained to me. Appearently my users not only want to search by job number and have it pull up all the information listed, but they also want to be able to lookup Customer last name, and address (also have it pull up all the info). Is this possible?

Thanks.

Did you read the Help I pointed to?

Did you make an ERD of your files? If you do this, you might see better how to structure things so that you can pull the information that the boss/client is asking you. BTW, a relationship can be a Self Relationship, maybe allowing you do do away with the New File.

It may be helpful to us to see a sample of your files.

Lee

Here is a copy of my file. Let me explain a bit more about what is going on. This file will be pulling information from three other files. Only certain pieces of info will be pulled to help make a condensed file for a group of users. The file is broken down into four sections with the top three being the information pulled form the three files.

I want to be able to search by key fields, such as date, job number, customer last name, etc and have it pull up all the info for that particular client or job. The password to this file is "rosa" Let me know what you think.

Thanks a lot.

Miguel

Database.zip

That is exactly what I want to have done. I don't want the data to duplicate in the new file if at all possible, simply find a job number and have it pullup all of the related information to have a more condensed view of the other 3 files for a special purpose group of users. Unless anyone would have a better approach at my situation.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6618 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.