Another File Not Opening

This topic is 6610 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have read several posts regarding files not opening on FMS 7/8. I have a similar problem. I have been developing many solutions in FMP 7/8 Developer, hosting them on a 7 server (Win 2000 Server SP4). I just upgraded that machine to FMS 8. All but two files opened as normal. One (1.66GB) opened after I opened it in FMP and allowed it to fully open. The remaining file (1 GB) will not open, even saving compressed would not help. The event log shows that the FileMaker Server Helper cannot be started (error1003), but that was FMS7's helper, which I set to manual start.

Max Files hosted =30, have 15 now.

Edited by Guest

I have read several posts regarding files not opening on FMS 7/8. I have a similar problem. I have been developing many solutions in FMP 7/8 Developer, hosting them on a 7 server (Win 2000 Server SP4). I just upgraded that machine to FMS 8. All but two files opened as normal. One (1.66GB) opened after I opened it in FMP and allowed it to fully open. The remaining file (1 GB) will not open, even saving compressed would not help. The event log shows that the FileMaker Server Helper cannot be started (error1003), but that was FMS7's helper, which I set to manual start.

Max Files hosted =30, have 15 now.

New Information: I have tried to recover the file, but the recovery fails. "File is not a FileMaker file or is severely damaged", yet it will open locally...What gives?

I seem to be a forum of one, but I keep finding more interesting information to impart:

I took a backup file from a few days ago and tried to host it on the FMS8 server. It would not open. I cloned it, and the clone opened. I could not recover the file from any source and saving it compressed crashed FMP 7. I booted another FMS7 server, copied the file to that machine, and it opened without any trouble.

What does FMS8 do that 7 does not?

Here is the state of things so far: I can open the file locally. I can save it as a clone. I can recover the clone. If I try to save as a compressed file, it will do it, but then say that it could not open the file (Damaged and use recovery)-even though I did not ask it to open the saved file. The saved copy opens fine locally. I cannot recover the whole file, nor host it on an FM8 server, but can on an FM 7 server. This is very confusing. AAARRRGGGGHHH!

It is a good thing that these are in development only and not being used by the company yet.

This topic is 6610 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.