Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Getting relationship information in a portal

Ray H

This topic is 6609 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been trying to setup a relationship between three tables, customer, cars and model.

I have setup the relationship between the customer and cars and setup a portal but I am now trying to setup a relationship between cars and models.

The end result would give me a portal on a layout called customer where I could select a car make in a portal and then select the model that relates to the car make.

I have been struggling with this for a couple of weeks now and just do not know where I am going wrong.

Any help/advice would be most welcome

car.zip

First, make a relationship from cars::make to model::make.

Now set the value list for Models to "Use values from field" -- specify the field as model from the above relationship, and "Include only related values starting from" -- specify cars, again from the above relationship.

One other point, in your attached file you noted that you'd like to be able to add a model on the fly if needed. You can type in any text you wish using the setup described, but it won't actually create a record in the model table. Your best bet there is probably to script a button to pop up a new window where you could add a model record.

This topic is 6609 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.