checkboxes

Kenny

This topic is 8438 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, I am creating a DB with 3 tables.

1. Company addresses containing: Comp_ID

2. Categories containing: Cat_ID and Cat_Name

3. A link table containing Comp_ID and Cat_ID

The reason for the 3rd table is because a single company be associated with more than one category, thus I have a many to many relationship.

In my Company DB I want to be able to select and view the categories that company is associated with through a set of checkboxes.

I have had some success using a portal to display related categories in a text format. Does anyone know how to achieve this but in a checkbox format?

Thanks,

Kenny

quote:

Originally posted by Kenny:

Hi, I am creating a DB with 3 tables.

1. Company addresses containing: Comp_ID

2. Categories containing: Cat_ID and Cat_Name

3. A link table containing Comp_ID and Cat_ID

The reason for the 3rd table is because a single company be associated with more than one category, thus I have a many to many relationship.

In my Company DB I want to be able to select and view the categories that company is associated with through a set of checkboxes.

I have had some success using a portal to display related categories in a text format. Does anyone know how to achieve this but in a checkbox format?

Checkboxes are displayed based on a value list. Setup a value list based either on a pre-defined list, or built from the actual contents of the field. Then on your layout simply define the field format as a checkbox with the value list.

This will then show all the values with a checkbox.

• Newbies

Yes, in fact this is how far I have got. The problem I have now is how do I link the checkboxes with the link table that contains the references between Company_ID and Category_ID.

For instance I have 3 checkboxes; sports, finance and distribution.

eg Company Comp_ID 5 can be associated with finance and distribution, so my link table contains '5,Sports' and '5,Distribution'. How can my checkboxes know which ones will be checked when I look at this record, and how can I make the link table update if I wanted to add sports or remove finance.

Maybe this is not possible with FMPro.

Thanks

Kenny

This topic is 8438 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.