Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Giving Developer limited access

This topic is 6607 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I would like to set some users to have access to everything - except "Accounts & Privileges".

Is this possible?

I want some employees to have the ability to define database but not be able to change other peoples access - I fear sabotage: locking everyone out.

I can't seem to see how this would be done. When I don't give [Full Access] - they lose the "Define Database" access.

No, only [Full Access] accounts have access to Define Database. It would seem to me, there could be considerable damaged caused by allowing access to Define Database anyway.

Edited by Guest

That's true. However, I have developer who has benn hired to help develop in FM 8 for us and needs access to everything. However, everything shouldn't have to include access to the Accounts & Privileges.

What if there is an issue that cause me to terminate the developer - but before he leaves, he deletes my admin access and changes the password on the default admin? Am I forced to go to a backup to recover the file? Seems like an easy fix for FM to me.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I guess I don't see why this is a concern. If you know you're going to terminate someone, then you can take precautions to protect your data, as you would with any other assets--walk them to the door, take their keys, change your passwords, etc. If someone resigns, then presumably they will behave themselves long enough to get their last paycheck. If you still suspect an employee capable of sabotaging your data, then they probably should not be employed.

Edited by Guest

I guess all it means is that if I knew what a particular employee may do in the future - life as an employer would be oh so much easier.

This just seems like a fairly simple and logical thing to be able to do. Perhaps I need a developer to have access to develop - but not see certain info (Social Security numbers for example). That should be possible in my opinion.

There are legal ways to protect your files, it is called a contract. Drawn up by an attorney familiar with software development, and confidential data, you should help to protect yourself from a dishonest employee. In the mean time, you could allow development of the files under close supervision on site. Once the development is finished, then change the password to something else, and your files will be as secured as anyone one can make them, using FileMaker.

Keep in mind, all a good security password system does is tp keep the honest employees honest, if a developer wants to get to you, he probably already has.

Lee

This topic is 6607 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.