trouble getting values in my list

This topic is 8388 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I created a value list that looks up values from a field in another file with no problems. I then used the results in that value list in a relationship and still had no problem. I then did EXACTLY the same thing with another file and I can only get 4 out of 150 results in my value list. I tried everything over and over thinking that I missed something, and still no resolution. I then did EXACTLY the same thing with another file and had no problems again, proving that I wasn't missing a step in the first place. All of these value lists are occuring in the same parent file and referring to fields in a number of smaller child files. What can be the problem? Is it the ORDER in which I did things that Filemaker doesn't like. I also tried 'restoring' the files and have had no luck. Any suggestions would be helpful, as I keep wasting precious time doing something that should work....

I have starred at this kind of things for hours myself over the years. The first thing I would confirm, if you are using global fields, is that the global field contains a value. I have overlooked this a couple of times, especially after converting a field to global and loosing the value. For that matter, make sure any fields involved in the relationship contain a value.

Happy Hunting!

Actually, the fields in question are not Global fields at all, but they are text calculations - combining text from a pair of fields - and I certainly wondered if the results were either not there or just the calculation wouldn't work this way. Though like I said out or 3 separate tries, two work fine and the one doesn't. hmmm...weird stuff

Hello Richshone,

you have some checks to do:

• all sorted elements must be of the same type (numbers or text, don't care)

• all sorted elements must be indexed fields

• on the 'sort field' the collate sequence must be the same in all files (i.e. english or ASCII)

• be careful that calcs. don't produce duplicates else only a record per duplicate set is displayed in the list(s)

Hope this helps.

Regards

[ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: JPaul ]

This topic is 8388 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.