resetting a find criteria without changing active record

This topic is 6596 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm new and thanks for any help in advance.

I'm setting up a page where you can choose the name of a client from a drop down list and see their profile. Currently I have the drop down list bound to the search "name" field. When you choose the name, the correct record populates the various other fields.

However, if you choose another name from the record, the client name of the current record is changed to a new name. i.e. John's Pizza: 555-1710 becomes Peg's Flower Shop: 555-1710 Obviously, this is a big problem.

I know how to do this in .NET, but I'm stuck in FM. Is there a global variable field or something I can use as a place holder so that changing the search criteria doesn't change the actual field value of the active record? Or can I program the drop down menu to reset the Find altogether?

I found a temporary or maybe permanent solution.

I froze the pull down menu in Browse View so that people can't inadvertantly change the active record. One has to click the "Find" button next to the drop down in order to enter Find View, where all of the fields are automatically cleared. In order to search one has to choose the name and click "Find" again. The search results populate and automatically send the user back to Browse View.

I'm adding a step and potentially frustrating the user by freezing the drop down, but at least it works for now! Any better or different ideas?

This topic is 6596 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.