20 value lists to do the same thing?

lpm

This topic is 6594 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a data entry layout which includes a language profile (matrix) with 20 Language fields (popup menus) from two related tables. I’d like each Language field popup to offer a list of common values (e.g., Spanish, English, French…Other) that will grow when “Other” is selected and new language choices are added. This way, data entry would be a simple series of selectable choices with an occasional addition to the list (via “Other”). I’ve read several resources and consulted FMP Help about value lists from a field, and have tried (many times) unsuccessfully to get the 20 fields to cooperate. My sad work-around is to create 20 value lists – each linked to its designated (unique) Language field. Over time the 20 lists would be populated to the point where fewer and fewer language choices would need to be added, however I’m hoping that there is a way to link each of the 20 popups to a single value list. I hope you can help…my Advil supply is rapidly being depleted. Thank you! LM

FMP8 Adv on Win XP

I am so utterly confused right now. "Use Values from Field", means that FileMaker will take all the values of a particular field for all existing records and compile them into a value list.

For example:

Your field is called "Language" and the language field is in a table called "Table". Lets assume that "Table" has 6 records.

Record 1:"Language" = English

R2: "Language" = Spanish

R3: "Language" = Spanish

R4: "Language" = Russian

R5: "Language" =

R6: "Language" = Mexican

Now lets say you tell filemaker to compile a value list from this single field with 6 records. The value list will contain the following values:

English

Spanish

Russian

Mexican

I hope this short explanation clears things up for you. If not please clear up your question because i have no idea what your talking about sorry.

~Genx

Sorry I didn't make it clear. I just want the data entry person to be able to click on any of the 20 Language popup fields and select from a cumulative/common list of languages (English, Spanish, French, etc), but if the language they are looking for is not in the list then I want them to ba able to select "Other" and add a new value/language to the common list. The popups are in a layout on Table A. 16 of the 20 fields are located in Table A and 4 of the 20 fields are located in (related)Table B. I've not been successful creating a single value list from a field, but I have been able to create 20 value lists as a temp workaround. I guess I'm not sure what field the value list is supposed to draw from and how to get the cumulative/common list of languages to show in all 20 popups. Sorry, I hope I haven't further confused anyone. Thanks, LM

Mmm, you do not need 20 fields. I'm not sure your understanding the concept a value list fully.

Enter Layout Mode,

Make sure that the standard toolbar is visible (view --> Toolbars --> Standard),

Click on the define value list icon,

Make a new list,

Choose "Use Custom values",

Simply type your values in here i.e:

Russian

English

Spanish

They are seperated by a carriage return (i.e. a hit of the enter / return key)

Then you can attach this value list to any field you want, and format the field to be a pop-up list or checkbox set or any of the other options.

Then if you want users to be able to add to the list, when you are attaching the value list to your field, select the allow edit option to be on. Or click the other option to allow a user to add a language that isnt within the list just one time if its a pop up list.

~Genx

~Genx

This topic is 6594 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.