Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Save Record Changes

This topic is 6597 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi folks,

I wonder if somebody can help me out with this problem.

I have a record with a "new only portal". I've set the layout to not save changes automaticly because I want the user to push a button to create the new record. But if the user click on the background FileMaker asks if he wants to save.

Is there a trick to avoid that?

No, this is how FMP works.

FMP is not like MS Word where the save process is user inmitiated. FMP saves the record each time the user has finished editing it. It knows when the user has finished editing when they exit the record: that is, when the cursor is no longer in a field. The easiest way to do exit the record is to click on the layout background.

To get what you want you need to get the user to put the new record data into global fields, then use a button to create a new record and transfer the data from the globals to the real fields to complete the process. Not hard, but the novelty wears off for both the developer and user: for the developer because it's a lot of work for complex multi-table solutions; and for the user because if they forget to click the save record button they lose all their data entry.

Thank you Vaughan,

your solution is not bad at all. To solve the problem with the user I will force him to save the record so that the data entry is insured. This is possible by looping the script until he saves the record.

As you said, it is quite a work, but they are payng me for something.

This topic is 6597 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.