Moving hundreds of referenced images

This topic is 6571 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Despite my best attempts at avoiding this scenario, I now need to move lots of images en masse into different folders before they start breeding with each other, etc.

The problem is that they are all referenced in container fields, and when I move them Filemaker loses track of where they've gone (even though it might only be to an adjacent folder).

So, is there any way I can do a search and replace type of operation on the referenced paths that Filemaker stores for each image or is this information hidden within the binary bowels of the program where I can't change it?

In other words, it's as though I need to invoke a GetAsText string for the container and somehow edit it and have this info replace the actual file reference.

Any help in avoiding the manual re-linking of hundreds of images would be appreciated.

Try the Troi File Plug-in. With it you can move files to new locations via FileMaker script. Then you'd just have to have your script update the container field to point to the new filepath.

as though I need to invoke a GetAsText string for the container and somehow edit it and have this info replace the actual file reference

I believe it can work almost exactly as you describe:

1. Define a calculation field Path (result is text) =

YourContainerField

2. Exit Define database. Go to Define database again and change Path into a text field.

3. Define a calculation field cContainer (result is container) =

Path

4. Find the records with the images you want to move, and edit Path to reflect the new location.

Optional:

5. If you want to return to the previous state, where the path is stored in a container field (so that you can add image by inserting a reference into a container field), change cContainer into a container field.

Here's an example that uses Troi File Plug-in to do what you want. It's very basic and should only be used as a foundation, as it doesn't check for errors.

IMPORTANT;)

Don't use this example on anything important and/or on anything that can't be recovered to its original state. This example manipulates files on your disk, so it should be tested thoroughly before employing it in a solution. I've tested it on Mac and Windows and it works fine for me, but I can't be held responsible for any mishaps that occur when others use it.

MoveImages.zip

This topic is 6571 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.