Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker Server 8

This topic is 6587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The recommended procedure for stopping FMS is to first use the Remote Administration Tool to CLOSE the databases. When all are closed, then stop the service.

Note that it can take several *minutes* to close large files, so be patient.

This is important because if a guest is using a file and won't log out, how can the service close? When stopping the service there is no way to know why the service isn't closing. In my experience it usually IS closing, but it takes more than the default 45 seconds to disconnect all users and flush a 400MB cache to disk.

If you follow the recommended procedure you'll never have to reboot the server with the service open and risk trashing your databases ever again.

BTW make sure you're using FMS 8.0v2.

Hi Vaughan,

I have also experienced the hang on stopping services. I sit and force myself to wait 20 minutes (after stopping services) before finally rebooting. I ALWAYS close all databases first and wait for the last one to say Closed. I even make sure there are no Users first. After all databases say Closed, I wait another 15-count, then go to services to stop them. And I've had it hang on this service stop three times during the past month. We moved to FMS8 five weeks ago, have applied all Updaters (properly) and we have Advanced but haven't used it yet.

Are there any other factors that could make a difference? There are two Server services to close (set to Manual) and I was just thinking ... does it matter which of these services we close first? Our Server is set to proper specs (I've followed recommended procedure), no sharing is on, no firewall, other programs, no auto updates etc. When I open the files stand-alone, I don't even receive a scanning message so I know my files DID close properly but it still concerns me greatly ...

Oh dear ... it just dawned on me that I should be checking the System Tools Event Viewer for errors. I'm not sure what to do with the information but at least I might pinpoint the problem. :blush2:

LaRetta

• Newbies

Hi Vaughan,

Same thing as LaRetta, we close all db's and the service will not 'stop'. I have installed FM8 server on another W2000 server, W2003 server and a XP PC. The service on all failed to stop. Filemaker support have not been able to find a solution to date. There is a solution on the FM web site but this does not work either. Thanks for your reply.

How much cache has FMS been given?

Large cache sizes (+200MB) will take a while to flush. The service closer application in Windows has a relatively short timeout before it gives up, even though things may be going along OK.

Can the service also be stopped using the Remote Admin Tool?

As was pointed out, use the SAT Tool to close the files and to stop the FileMaker Service. Do not use the Services Control Panels for the FMS Service. You can stop the helper service from there without issue. It is rarely necessary to stop the helper service.

Steven

They should stop as you've described as longas you close all open dbs first and use the Admin tool to stop the service.

However you've mentioned a reboot, and if you don't want it to start after reboot, you can do this: in the Services Control Panel, switch the FileMaker Server service and FileMaker Helper Service not to start automatically, and reboot the machine. Then they won't start up again until you say so!

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.