FM6 Server Backup

This topic is 6588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, I am newbie using Filemaker 6 server and have a schedule setup to backup our database every 2 hours. The problem is that the files are overwritten with each scheduled backup. There are no options in FM server that I can see to set it to use a unique folder for the backup, like with a date and time stamp. From reading a few threads on the forum I see lots of discussions about using apple script, I have not used this before being fairly new to Macs. is there an easy solution I am missing?

Many Thanks

How about setting up different folders for each 2 hour backup?

Each backup schedule should then address it's own folder.

Bear in mind that you will, of course, over write within 24 hours, so is 2 hourly scheduling a little bit aggressive?

Personally I do 2 backups per day, plus a nightly backup for each day of the week.

A lot depends on how much data would be lost if you need to recover.

• Newbies

Thanks for the reply ideal.

I was doing 2 manual backups per day (am/pm) until recently when the database has been going down quite often with damaged files. I think I have now resolved this and I put it down to the way the network had been configured. Due to the master files being damaged we lost a few quotations and notes stored within the database.

For a short period until I know for sure that the issue has been resolved I was going to do a more aggressive backup routine.

I suppose I could setup a schedule for every backup, one for every 2 hour period. 8am, 10am and so on. At least then I only have to manually move it once a day. If anyone has a better solution please let me know.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Try this thread: http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/172438/post/188110/hl//#188110

Several solutions there for FM 8, but should work in FM6 with a few changes.

This topic is 6588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.