store graphic or path?

This topic is 6589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am beginning to use graphics as buttons rather than native FM buttons.

I know that I can keep the size of the file down by storing the path to the graphic but can anyone advise me if there are any performance issues that might outweigh the saving in file size?

Should I be even bothering to store a path or should I just store the graphic each time?

TIA

Phil

ps The solution will probably use about 50-60 buttons and will be run peer to peer or using server where necessary.

It depends on the split of your file. If you've got a client GUI and a backend data split, its all good, shove away. Otherwise, you might consider storing the filepaths ... in calc fields im assuming, pointing to graphics on the end-user side to increase performance.

If you mean store as reference vs. store in file in terms of a global field or something, same suggestion i.e. client side GUI, store in file, server side, store ref pointing to client side images.

Keep in mind file size though. My current GUI is around 25mb, 200+ layouts, about 150 of which have graphics. 25mb to me, is very reasonable...

anywho, if this wasn't what you were after, define more how you are actually storing the graphic...

~Genx

What can i say... its a big database... hmmm, though it turns out its only 15mb, i was over exaggerating a bit :D, but it zips down to like 1 lol, not that its much use in that form, but nevertheless. On the upside, the only graphic i have in my backend is a login screen, and that doesnt really count because its just a calc referencing client side. Ah well.. back to work... or sleep

~Genx

This topic is 6589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.