Fatal Import Error FM6 to FM8 Using XML 0x4

This topic is 6587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a hundred runtime users I have to update from FM6 to FM8 version. Can't import their client data directly. Only XML seems to work as an intermediary format.

The problem is that on some folks data I get an parsing (whatever that is) error messsage regarding inappropriate character 0x4.

Detective work learnt me that 0x4 is Ascii for Control-D which in the XML world apparently means EOT (end of transmission) and thus dies on attempted import...

How do I avoid getting that in my Exported File or how do I extract it from the xml file? HELP?!?

Hmm, In one instance the offending character was 0x4. I did a search using find replace, but it didn't find any such text in any field.

And how do you do those other things you referenced.

It should not be so (*&^*&^ difficult to get the old data into the new db! I see this as a flaming flaw of filemaker that is driving me to drink.

Solution: Tried again to use alternate format for intermediary file to move data from runtime v.6 to runtime v.8. What worked (so far) is a .dif file with the DOS option selected.

.xml is terra incognita and inaccessible (to me). And I have to be able to do this on 100 client computers.

This topic is 6587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.