how to eliminate the need to tab into display only field

This topic is 6584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there---

I have a database with multi tables (tables re: question are people > jobs > dept).

On a layout, I would like the user to enter the Dept Code (abbreviated code for dept name- ie BHS is Behavioral Science) and then the department full name would automatically appear as a display field. I have the field setup and behaving correctly- except the user actually needs to tab into the display field for it to update. If the user doesn’t tab into the dept name (display only) field, it won’t update the display.

How can I eliminate the tab necessity? I want it to appear automatically.

Thanks

Perhaps you can explain what method you used to show the Dept. Name, and whether or not your using a value list for those codes (if so which type, pull down menu, pop up list, etc.)

For Dept code, the user can pick from a drop down list (a value list has been defined using the dept table). I was expecting that the dept name would appear in the display only field once the appropriate code was selected due to the relationship between people::deptcode and dept::deptcode.

Am I missing something or is there a more efficient way to do what I need?

Thanks

If the "dept name" field that's on the layout is the related dept::dept name field, then this should work. Make sure that the deptcode fields on both sides of the relationship are of the same type.

This topic is 6584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.