Move FM to new server

This topic is 6590 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I need to move FM server 5 from the current server it is on to a different server. I have installed FM server 5 on the 2nd server but the client's can not see it to access files. For example from the client(FM Pro 6)normally they choose open file, use existing, then HOSTS button and the servername and mainmenu.fp5 appear and they are choose. However the new server name does not appear. Also where would the .fp5 files be stored because I am sure I would need to move them, should they be on the orginal server or is it possible they could be stored somewhere else. Any help would be appreciated the existing server is having major windows issue and I need to rehost the FM so it can be used without interruption.

Thanks,

SMears

Do you have both servers running at the same time on the same network? Your license won't allow the second copy of the server to start if the first one is still running. If you check the event log, you should see a message detailing something like this.

• Newbies

So if I stop the filemaker server service on one of them, will that take care of my issue?

Also what about the mainmenu.fp5 file, I can not find it on the server. Is it a part of another file or db? could it be shared from another PC?

Edited by Guest

The FM files need to be on the same machine. If you put the file in the same folder as where FMS is installed (or one folder down) then FMS will automatically host the file when the FMS service starts.

This topic is 6590 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.