Server Maintenance This Week. ×

field encryption or security

This topic is 6573 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello

How would I secure a field? Is that possible in Filemaker? For example, driver's license is required on some reports but I don't want all users to have access to it. Once it's entered, actually I want it hidden from everyone until it prints out on the report.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

You could define limited access to that field in the privilege set's Records:Custom Privileges dialog, where access to that field is set to 'no access'.

Or you might limit access to the data entry and view layouts that the field appears on, so only those authorized to see it have access to those layouts. If necessary, use a duplicate set of layouts with the field removed for those lower level accounts. Then have your navigation scripts choose which layout to go to based on the user's account or privilege set.

This is not as secure as Ender's suggestion, but it is easer so long as you always want the ID only to show on a printout.

Leave the Field on the layout as is.

Place a box object over the top of the field so that it covers the contents of the field.

Set the properties of the box object to not print under the sliding and printing options.

This way users will not see the id, but when you go to print, the box that overlays the field will not be printed, thus the ID will show up on the printout.

This topic is 6573 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.