Personalised attachment in batch emails

hmedia

This topic is 6567 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm needing a little clarification on something.

I have a whole bunch of records, and a whole bunch of PDFs that I need to send out to the right person. The title of PDF includes a page number of a book spread I need a particular contributor to read and sign off. I have that same page number in the record where the info on the contributor resides. Is there a way to conditionally attach the corresponding PDF to the correct person's email?

I've tried making the specified email attachment be seen as a Calculation like: Case(MyTable::MyPageNoField = "1" ; filepath to page 1 pdf; ... etc but it doesnt want to work.

Any further ideas?

Set the file path into a script variable, then in the email script step use this variable where you specify the attachment path.

Hidden in the mysterious FileMaker Help file, under Creating a Database, there is an entry for Creating File Paths (about 3/4's way down), which explains the syntax, incl. some examples at the bottom showing how to use them with Script Variables. It's all there, it's just hard to find in a hurry.

Thanks Fenton, V M appreciated.

Am I to understand that, in this instance, a script variable will check the value of one field and do a unique action in response to that result? Like attach the correct PDF to the email?

slightly unclear but I'll nut it out, I'm sure.

Mmmm, not exactly. The script variable doesn't "check" anything. You SET the variable to the file path of your attachment:

Set Variable [$path ; "file:/computer/Users/you/folder/page " & MyTable::MyPageNoField & ".pdf" ]

Your path on OS X will look similar to this, and your files in the example here would be named page 1.pdf, page 5.pdf, etc. Note: the variable name MUST begin with the $ symbol (or $$ but we won't get into that).

Then in the Send Mail script step, where you specify the attachment, enter the name of your variable -- $path in the example above.

This topic is 6567 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.