Managing the layout list

jds2016

This topic is 6541 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before. I tried searching for a solution, but didn't find one.

In going from 6 to 7, I combined about 10 databases into one. The letter layouts from each of those 10 databases are being used in the new database. This creates a huge list when you look at the layouts. Is there a way to manage the layouts with folders like in a favorites list in a web browser? Or is it possible to attach certain layout names to one layout like a donations layout would only display the names of various thank you letters.

Thanks for any help

John

No, you can't manage the layouts like a favorites lists -- I wish! I'm not sure I understand your second question... You can put buttons on layouts that link to other layouts. Is that sort of what you're asking? If you use FileMaker 8 you could use a tab object to condense your layouts.

• Newbies

Thanks for the answer, I didn't think there was a way to do it. The second question is a continuation of the first. Instead of using folders, just show certain available layouts based on the current layout in browse mode.

John

Just build your self a navigation system, attach scripts to it, and then copy and paste it all over your database.

(Depending on what you want access to, you can delete different items on different layout's though its better to keep this navigation static and perhaps modify the scripts instead so as not to confuse the user).

If you have a large number of letters, you might instead hold the letter text as data in a Letter table, and use a merge technique to get the record data to merge with the desired letter. There are a couple merge techniques for FM7/8 described in this thread:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/99166/

And in terms of organising your layouts, (in the case that you still have large amounts), you might consider starting to use naming techniques, dividers etc.

I have just over 160 layouts, which include mainly the database UI itself, a few for reports, and 8 that utilize the technique that Ender mentioned. I can find a layout in a matter of seconds.

I use the following technique for naming layouts (this also helps with script execution).

First I split the three types of layout: UI, Report, or Merge Page. I then start the layout name with "MDL_", "REP_" or "MER_" respectivley.

Secondly, my database is split in to 8 major modules, so i attach the module name second. i.e:

"MDL_Home_ToDoList" or "MDL_Messenger_Inbox" or "REP_Home_ToDoList"

The best thing about this is i can isolate whole modules, or types of layout in my scripts by using left(get(layoutname) ; x number of chars).

Finally, I use dividers, and module headers. I.e. i would have the following as my first few layouts:

HOME

-

MDL_Home_Welcome

MDL_Home_ToDoList

MDL_Home_Diary

-

REP_Home_ToDoList

REP_Home_Diary

-

-

MESSENGER

-

MDL_Messenger_Inbox

MDL_Messenger_Unread

etc. etc.

Anyway, just thought i'd put that idea forward in a general sense, trust me its amazingly useful.

~Genx

• 4 weeks later...

how about a procedure chart in visio, map blank buttons to the layouts?

but really i've been making menus for the different user sets, then group the buttons under different areas for certain tasks. When working on certain tasks i set the layout to include in menu and deselect all of the other layouts so i can easily switch from one to the other.

This topic is 6541 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.