Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM Server 7 Ver 4: Missing Records

This topic is 6559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I have encountered a problem when 3 or more users are using a file through Server 7 ver 4. There is a three tier relationship in which the grandparent table has a one to many relationship with the parent table which in turn has a one to many with the child table. Records are created in all three tables and later modified, and every once in a while a record in the child table will go missing after modification of either the parent or grandparent table!! This then adversely affects calc fields in the other two tables that reference the child table. This only happens when 3 or more users are working on the file at the same time. They are not, however, working on the same records. VERY weird and troublesome.

Edited by Guest

Is the record being deleted or simply having it's data removed?

If you are modifying the parent/grandparent then is it possible the related child disappears from the relationship because it is no longer valid for the relationship?

Check that the record actually exists first as I would be extermely doubtful that records are being removed in this way - otherwise FMP Inc have a major problem.

The entire record is being deleted. I hesitate to say deleted because it doesn't seem right that FileMaker would delete a record without the user, but the record is completely missing from the child table. I did find a cascading delete turned on in one of the relationships between the grandparent and child, directly using a global. I can't find anywhere in the database where that would have came into play inappropriately, but I removed it since it was weird and unnecessary as far as I can tell. If that doesn't fix the problem, and it very well may not, then FileMaker Inc. does have a serious problem.

• 2 weeks later...

The plot thickens. After removing all cascading deletes and insuring that each user is running a separate session I found one case in which two users each saw the other ones related records in a portal. This portal shows records based on a relationship that uses a global field that each user selects by clicking on a parent record. Since globals are supposed to be session specific there is no conceivable way for this error to occurr. I am convinced it's hairy voodoo. I've spoken to several developers with years of experience and no one has ever seen anything like this.

This topic is 6559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.