Access Restriction Filemakersever

This topic is 6559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm using 5.5 and trying to lock downlayouts,scripts and value lists from users as well as computer technicians. This works well by simply unchecking access to each of these in the passwords menu. My solution however, needs to be placed on a server for multi-use. I have set the parameters for multi-user under sharing. Computer administrators however have requested more access privledges to place this on individual fileservers. Is there a way to provide enough access for a technician to place the solution on a fileserver for multi-use but lock out all scripts,layouts etc. without providing the master password. I have tried for some time now unsuccessfully.

Pete

Similar issue.

I am not a dbase developer, but new job means I now have to administer a FileMaker datbase drawn up by my predecessor.

Dept uses Filemaker Pro 6 on desktops and Fiemaker Server 5.5 on a G3 acting as a server.

Questions:-

Can I somehow get an alias of database on the server to sit in the dock on each Mac to simplify navigation to and opening of the database?

Database currently seems vulnerable to user error. Can I protect it by limiting access to it/preferably without invoking password access... I would like it to open in such a state without needing passwords - so the default mode allows modification of data, but no access to layouts etc, while I could open as Administrator for Full Access. Currently ALL users have access privileges to modify the entire database, as soon as I click even one of the Access checkboxes, they are locked out.

When I set an Admin password, currently I can modify everything - I tried to set "no password' as the default for users, but this refuses ANY access to the file.

I would hope that ideally endusers could double click icon in dock to open Filemaker add be able to book in a new job, without being able to modify scripting or layouts.

Hope this makes sense!! Any advice?

Hi catriona,

Please do not post multiple times. I removed your other two identical posts. Most folks on here see all posts regardless and it is highly discouraged on FM Forums. Thanks! :smile2:

LaRetta

Can I somehow get an alias of database on the server to sit in the dock on each Mac to simplify navigation to and opening of the database?

No problem. Do a search of the forums for +Opener +File and you should see some discussion and examples.

Database currently seems vulnerable to user error. Can I protect it by limiting access to it/preferably without invoking password access... I would like it to open in such a state without needing passwords - so the default mode allows modification of data, but no access to layouts etc, while I could open as Administrator for Full Access. Currently ALL users have access privileges to modify the entire database, as soon as I click even one of the Access checkboxes, they are locked out.

You should definitely get passwords installed on your files. Sharing files without passwords is an invitation for disaster.

Setting up passwords is pretty straight-forward. While the files are offline, you can go into File->Define->Passwords, and add passwords as needed. Use a different password for each user class, or even each user if you wish. Set the permissions for the password in the current file how you want it, and do the same in any other files. If you wish to restrict view/edit access by field or by layout, add a group for each Access Group, then go into Access and choose the Access Privileges for each group.

While it's possible to set a file to auto-login, I strongly recommend having users type the password. This is just a basic part of protecting your files.

FOLLOW UP

Currently ALL users have access privileges to modify the entire database, as soon as I click even one of the Access checkboxes, they are locked out.

When I set an Admin password, currently I can modify everything

When I set up other passwords with lesser, limited access rights, the file opens up, the Data Entry screen is greyed out and one cannot access any records

Hope this makes sense!! Any advice?

Groups only have access to those layouts they have a black circle on (in the Access Privileges dialog.) If there's a grey circle, or the password is not assigned to a group, the password would see a greyed out "No Access" instead of the layout.

There's only one layout - the data entry screen

If I declick the button for << Design Layouts >> I hoped to preclude any chance of layout being mucked about - am I simply refusing the staff access to the database (in effect)?!

No, the Design Layouts access need not be enabled for users to view/edit records on those layouts. The problem you are having is because of "Access Privileges" that are defined for the password's Group, as I described above.

Look for the Access button on the Define Passwords screen, or under File->Access Privileges...->Overview

This topic is 6559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.