My First Container Field

This topic is 6561 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello everyone. I am 4 days into our Filemaker trial and every day counts! I have to get a half decent database up and going before we can justify a license purchase.

I am stuck on 2 big things in filemaker. Firstly using the container fields (a function which is perfect for what I need to achieve) how can I merely "link" a record to a file. I noticed that after adding a large PDF file to a record it's data was included into the database. And every record in this database will need a PDF of a CAD drawing attached! Can I do this? Or will I have to have a very bulky database?

My second problem I will post in a more relevant place on the forum, int he meanwhile it's back to the search box!

When inserting the image specify the "store only a reference" option. As the option suggests, this stores only a reference to the file vs. storing the actual file within the database.

~Genx

Just bear in mind that if you will end up with a multi-user networked system then your reference files must exist in a common network location that all users could mount to their desktop.

There are potential pitfalls in mixed platform environments.

Depending on how you set it up i suppose. Though if you have a basic filepath / calc result container thing set up its all workable using get(systemplatform).

~Genx

• Newbies

yep all the neccessary folders are already accessable for the users intended to use my little frankstiens monster. I will just have to whip them until theyr understand the tick box as well as I do!

This topic is 6561 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.