Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Relationship based on Calculation Field

This topic is 6561 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Am I Missing something here?

Here is my issue,

I am showing a portal in my checks table. the portal is based on the invoice table and should show all the invoices that still have a balance. The only way to automatically do this is to have the relationship based on the calculation field of the invoice balance. If balance is zero or less the record should not show in the portal.

Once I make a relationship like this the portal shows no related records.

-Don

Yeh, if your calc field is unstored, (i forget the exact issue) but one direction of relationships will not work properly. I believe it is a parent record with any field linked to a child record with an unstored calc as the related field that causes the problem. This issue arises as far as i understand it because an unstored calc will only ever evaluate if it is present on screen, thus this won't work in the context of related records because the records can't become visible until they've evaluated but they can't evaluate until they become visible... My reasoning anyway

I'm sure someone more 'learn-ed' will be able to fill you in on this one. However seeing as this thing calculates balances, and for balances to change presumably another amount requires changing, you might be able to store the calc...

~Genx

Okay, that makes sense... I think.

I cannot store this calculation because it is calculated based on a related field.

Let me know if there are any other workarounds.

It seems like it will work with a lookup, but then I need to refresh the lookup right.

Right, its a pain but.. i've tried to stop my reliance on this sort of thing i.e. for a balance to decrease a user must make a payment, when making a payment i run a script, the script checks if the sum of all the payments + the additional payment just made = the amount owed. If the amount is completely paid off, i will set an extra field "paid" = 1 so i can recognize paid accounts vs. unpaid accounts.

Its a bit of a work around but...

~Genx

This topic is 6561 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.