Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multiple images in a container field?

This topic is 6559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Is it possible to place more then one image into a container field?

If not, how do I create solution to when I need to store X number of images with a given record.

Thank you in advance.

--DKG

DKG:

Welcome to the Forums.

A container field can only hold one image/file at a time. To store multiple images you need multiple containers. In some cases, you might preset these as separate containers in your table (for example, if you have a large image and a thumbnail, or several standard views of the same item, like top, side, front.)

It sounds like you need to store a variable number of images for a given record. In that case, you should store your images in a related table. In this table, you would have the following fields:

Parent Record ID (to store the key field of the main record)

Container Field

Then you create a relationship based on the Parent Record ID back to the main table.

In your main record, you can put a portal showing data from that new relationship, and put the related container field in the portal. It will now show all the related containers - you may want to enable the scroll bar in the portal so that you can scroll through if there is a long list of images.

Now, to put an image into the container, the simplest way is to set "allow creation of records" on (for the new table) in the relationship dialog. This way, there is always a blank row in the portal (it's the last row), and you can click in the blank container and insert your image. It will automatically put the correct key field data into the related record's Parent Record ID field.

HTH

-Stanley

To answer your question as asked, which I feel stanley did,

Is it possible to place more then one image into a container field?

If you only have one repetition of the field, then it is one image per field. However, you can have more than one repetition for a container field.

If not, how do I create solution to when I need to store X number of images with a given record.

I lean towards having a separate record for each image, and then using a portal to view in your current file. However, take a look at the repeating field option in Define Field >> Options >> Storage and you also have to change what is seen on the layout by going into Layout Mode and double clicking the field, and changing the number of repetitions to the number you want.

HTH

Lee

This topic is 6559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.