Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Certification - What % Needed to Pass?

This topic is 6428 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have taken the FM 8 Cert test once and failed. I want to take it again, but cannot find any information on what percentage is needed to pass, nor did the testing center know.

Can anyone tell me? Thank you.

BTW, it is very involved! You definitely need to know your stuff!

FileMaker does not reveal the percentage required to pass the certification test. In addition, anyone who takes the test is under a non-disclosure agreement not to reveal anything about the test.

The best I can recommend is to get the Professional Training Foundation Series III book which is probably the best single resource for studing to pass the certification test:

http://www.filemaker.com/developers/professionaltraining/bookcd.html

Or, you can take the class based on this course. You can find the 8 authorized trainers for this course at:

http://www.filemaker.com/developers/authorized_trainers.html

Thanks John (you are like royalty in the FM community!)

I have the PTFS III materials. I am just surprised that they do not reveal what percentage is needed to pass. What is the reasoning for that? Dont most other cert tests at least let you know what the minimum passing score is?

That's a good question that I don't have the answer for. I would contact the FSA team (Delfina, Simms or Linda) and ask them why they don't. That's who I originally contacted when I saw your question posted.

BTW, my thinking is study as hard as you can and forget about percentages. It will distract you.

• 3 weeks later...

I just think that if you are paying $150 to take a test you at least have the right to know what the passing score is.

Also, how would you verify that the results are correct? If you receive a certain percentage and it says you fail, you have no way of knowing if that is correct or not. Obviously, it should be, but computers can make mistakes.

Also it seems that by not disclosing FM can require 100% correct, which would cause the majority to fail and have to retake which equals more $$.

• 4 weeks later...

i find it amazing that there is no syllabus for the certification exam. my reply from delfina:- The materials we recommend to prepare are at this URL:

http://www.filemaker.com/developers/certification/steps.html

not a syllabus then - so just be able to recite the "help" as a starter

• 2 weeks later...

mentioned above, we who have taken the test are not permitted to give details about it, but I was at one of the DevCon lunches when Simms and other FileMaker staff where speaking in generalities, so I will do the same.

It is in FileMaker's best interest to have certified developers, and I know the the passing percentage is not 100%. I missed several questions in one particular catagory and still passed. I'ma bout the take the 8 exam, and I will not miss those same questions again. (Certification is good for one year)

If I were to guess, I would guess that a 75% will pass- obviously I donot know- but I missed a handfull of questions and passed.

Thompson Prometric gets paid for the test, but they alsohave to pay thelocal testing centers,so I doubt very little of that money is goingback to FileMaker. Certification is design to separate the 'amatuer' developers from the 'pros'.

The test does a good job of testing all parts of FileMaker knowledge. If you work 95% of your time on a Windows client- then you better review your network and Mac knowledge. There are also plenty of questions to make sure you are not attempting to pass with '6-think'. The test was written from the ground up for 7/8.

As for preparation, I didn't do much. I've never taken a Foundation Series class, and I only spent about an hour studying the 'specs' the night before.

I have read most every advanced level FileMaker bookover the past five years, I have read all the FMP white papers, I've listened to all the podcasts (Buddy and FMP), and I've been to DevCon 7 of the last 10 years.

If I were going to read one resource as prep- it would be Bob Bowers/ Steve Lanes FileMaker 8 Special Edition.

I aggree that the questions should not be published. I have freinds with the MS certifications and they know nothing- they simply studied for the test. I think FileMaker has done a good job with the test, and I hope that no one 'leaks' a test prep guide with all the questions/ answers.

• 2 months later...

One small correction on that..."certification is good for one year". That's not quite right - according to the certification FAQ on FMI's website:

"There is no expiration date to the certification title you receive. You may, however, be certified on a technology that is outdated if FileMaker, Inc. releases a new technology version and its associated exam. Keeping your certification current is highly recommended. FileMaker, at its discretion, may offer certification for one version back."

This topic is 6428 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.