Migrate files individually or 1 at a time?

This topic is 6528 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have just been trying to migrate my own 30 file solution from FM6 to 8Adv. While it has been tedious fixing up the file references, there are some broken scripts which are more tedious to deal with, and I'm not sure why they broke.

I have a global nav script which is the same in every file and it seems to be the main culprit, but breaking in different places in different files. It also seems strange that in a short script of the form "If the named database is open, do this script but if not do this other script" both scripts are in the same file but one may be identified where the other line has been replaced by something like "file missing" and/or "script missing".

I wondered if these things can be ironed out by converting 1 file at a time - I converted all at once and followed the prompts on screen - there were times when I had to find a file which it claimed couldn't be found, even though it had already been found previously.

I am just testing the conversion process at the moment to see how much work it is, but if I can iron out some of the kinks first I'm sure it will save a lot of time and effort.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers, Muzz

No doubt you noticed that the conversion process generates lots of "redundant" file references.

Did you check your scripts immediately after conversion, or did you tackle the file references first?

If you fixed the fille refs first then that might be a clue.

I can't imagine that fixing 1 by 1 will be easier as you will have lots more broken references.

I recently converted a 24 file solution without too many problems.

I'm a little wooried 'bout this statement. I'm fully aware of stuff not going to be right after a migration, however does this sound like a recipee for disaster:

I converted all at once and followed the prompts on screen

In my humble opinion aren't you given any prompts at all if you drag all files as a "herd" or "swarm" ontop of the application icon, to migrate the entire solution. Since the references might clutter up your solutions responsiveness, exists other ways to deal with the matter - solutions should only be split up in files if the deployment over an array of machines makes sense...

There are a pretty good blog on this topic here:

http://tokerud.typepad.com/filemaker/2004/04/migrating_to_fm.html

But you have to read this before getting your feets wet:

http://filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/techbrief_fm8_migration.pdf

--sd

I tackled the file references first and didn't look at any of the scripts before that. Do you think it's worth a try the other way around?

Yes, tackle the scripts first. You will probably see that each of your main nav scripts is using different file refs, albeit really the same file(s).

Decide which File Reference for a particular file you're going to use; usually the 1st, the plain one. Then, as IdealData says, look in all the relevant scripts, and reset to use that one. Then the Relationship Graph, and don't forget related Value Lists. Doable, but rather demanding and tedious. Only after all above have been retargeted can you delete the extraneous file references.

For a complex solution, it's worth it to buy Metadata Magic to help with this. It has a File Reference fixer that consolidates all the File References for you.

Thanks everyone for your input. My solution is for my own one-man business and I inherited it 7 years ago in FM2 format, (my first contact with FileMaker) and have updated it periodically myself, pretty much entirely with the help of this forum, so it is as much a matter of pride and interest as a lack of economic sense that makes me want to do it myself. The cost of MetaData Magic wouldn't make economic sense in my case, and it looks a little overwhelming for me too.

So I will wade through the techbrief, do as much housekeeping on my version 6 files as I can and have another go, following your advice and suggestions as best I can.

Can I just clarify one thing though - is it the case that the only way the file references can be sorted out before conversion is with a third party tool? Is there no other way?

Thanks again, Muzz

Can I just clarify one thing though - is it the case that the only way the file references can be sorted out before conversion is with a third party tool?

Yes.

The cost of MetaData Magic wouldn't make economic sense in my case, and it looks a little overwhelming for me too.

Then redevelope, a lot of stuff should be done differently anyhow!

--sd

This topic is 6528 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.