Can't delete a damaged layout

leehanwei

This topic is 6550 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

My file has a damaged layout that I can't delete. Everthime I try to delete the layout, the program will quit unexpectedly. The file is otherwise functioning well. I have tried the help instruction given by the filemaker menu, never work. It just instructs us to scroll away from the layout then delete.

Can anyone help?

• Newbies

I have tried to delete each object and one by one... Now the layout is empty, only one body part and no object.

Unfortunately, there is no backup for this. Actually, I overwrite the backup copy with my latest version just when the damaged layout occur.

Any other way?

I would try recovering the file. You'll find this feature under the File menu. It will make a copy of your file and recover it so don't go back to the original.

Previous to FileMaker Pro 6, recovery was only recommended for getting your file to open so you could export the data and import it into a backup. Systems Engineers at FileMaker are now telling me the recovery feature is much better and can be used on files that will continue to be used. I still wouldn't trust it since recovery tends to delete anything suspect to corruption. In other words, you may fix your one problem but discover something else missing weeks or months down the line.

It's a tough decision. I would probably play it safe and revert to a backup if you can.

• Newbies

You are absolutely right. I have tried to recover the file. 80-90% of all my layout disappeared. Almost back to graound zero.

Still hoping to get faster and easier solution to fix this problem.

This is a nice organization of information and articles. Thanks for putting it together. I also didn't know FMI had started up there file recovery service again. They had stopped it for a while. If it works the same way it used to, an engineer looks through your file and attempts to delete the corruption so your file will work correctly.

This topic is 6550 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.