sorting value lists, FileMaker 4.x

This topic is 8086 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I'm brand new to the group, so please forgive me if I commit any newbie errors!

In FileMaker 4.x, I have "Field X" which uses a pop up value list that displays data from "Field 1" and also displays data from "Field 2" - In this case Field 1 the Company Name, Field 2 is a Customer ID number.

I need the value list to sort on the Company Name (Field1) and place the Company Name in Field X when selected. I want the ID number visible so that all customers, including those who share the same name, are indexed and show on the value list - even if they have the same name (more than one record may share the same Company name, but the ID Number is unique).

Is there anyway in FileMaker 4.x to trick a value list into sorting by the first field? (Sounds like this problem is addressed FileMaker 5, but our company can't move to that version, too many users and many many sophisticated FileMaker 4.x systems that would have to be converted.)

Thanks,

Joyce

If I remember version 4 always sorts on the second field, however, why does it matter for your purposes to show the same company name twice? Either way the company name gets entered.

• Newbies

Field "X" is in one database. The value list uses the customer ID and Company name from a related data base. Cust ID is unique, Company name may not be unique. The user would know the Company Name, but would not necessarily know the Cust ID.

I have since developed a solution to my requirements - of which this issue was one step. I still can't sort by Field Two, but the overall solution (which involves creating sets of "Temporary" holding fields) works quickly and pretty intuitively for the user.

Thank you for responding - I was beginnig to feel a bit rejected wink.gif

Joyce

This topic is 8086 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.