Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Portal has record amnesia

This topic is 6545 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a layout that uses several portals, most of which work fine. One, however, "forgets" the records it is supposed to display. If I actually go to the layout of the record(s) it is supposed to be displaying and create a new record or duplicate one that exists, suddenly all the records that should have been contained within appear, including the newly created record. When the file is closed and reopened the same thing happens—records are absent until the entire process is repeated. I've done the usual checks and tests of the relationships and everything is fine. I should mention that this only happens when the file is being shared, by FM Server 8. If the file is opened in either FM Pro or Advanced 8 directly this problem does not occur, all records pop up in the portal just fine. Share them again and open them remotely, though, and they're MIA.

Thanks in advance for any help -CK

Thanks, both of you, for the advice. Each suggestion does make sense but unfortunately does not solve the problem. The problem seems to be the difference in opening the DB directly and opening it as a shared file. Further review of other sections of the file also display the same problem in a couple places. As impractical as it may seem I may just have to add to the startup script steps to create and delete a new record for the problem tables.

Thanks—CK

Edited by Guest

I have a client that is having this problem too. FMServer 8v3 and client 8v3. I have recovered the offending file and it is still happening. Do your records go away for good or do they just dissapear until the file is closed and re-opened?

The actual records are retained. The portal just "forgets," I guess is the best way to put it, that it is supposed to be displaying records—until a new one is created, that is, at which point it wakes up and everything is normal. I added to my startup script steps to go to the layout of the missing records, create, then delete, a new record, then continue with the rest of the script. Of course this is no solution, just a workaround.

If you're actually missing records when you reopen the file I would delete any other instance of the main file that has the same name, even from the trash, and make copies of your backups and save them out of reach. FileMaker has a tendency to go to older versions of the DB files, even in the trash. I had this same thing happen—I would enter data in a record, close it, then re-open it and everything I had entered had disapeared, and it was actually drawing on records in a previous version of the file it was finding over the network.

This topic is 6545 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.