Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Copy Portal Rows

abomb

This topic is 6545 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all,

Thought someone else would have asked this but could not find it. If there is a post, please let me know.

Trying to put togeter a quote to job database. Here is how I have set it up

Quote_Item

Job

Job_Item

Both Quote and Job can have only one record, but they can have many items. I would like to create a quote, then if it becomes an order "import/copy" items into a Job. On Quote layout, have a portal that allows creation of record to Quote Item. This allows me to enter as many items into the quote as I want. Then if it becomes a job, I have a link to list the quoted items and then I re-enter the job items the same way. It works well, but takes alot of time for entry. Not all quoted items become job items, which is why I'd like to be able to just copy the portal row instead of haveing some field that designates the quote as a job. Thought of a script to do many lookups, but thought there may be a better way.

Is there a way to copy an entire portal row and then paste in new portal row; without doing lookups? Or is the lookup the only way?

Thanks in advance.

Is there a way to copy an entire portal row and then paste in new portal row; without doing lookups? Or is the lookup the only way?

There are plenty of ways, but why do you wish to avoid Lookups?

Secondly are the data in the quotes likely to change during the course of getting Order? Oftentimes is no transfere needed at all only a boolean field that makes the itemline show up in another portal e.g. the Order via adding a new foreign key.

The galvanical approach you suggests carries a lot of sycronization issues, that a normalization usually seeks to avoid!

--sd

I'm going to work on the boolean idea. Anymore help would be appreciated.

Allright I interpolated this thread with a similar, to which I made a template today:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/177014/post/207104/#207104/

--sd

Hey Soren,

Thank you for the link. That is exactly my problem. I'm still having problems though. I posted a question there, but no one has responded yet. If you could check it out and offer any suggestions for my problem, I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

This topic is 6545 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.