Server Maintenance This Week. ×

First Record Identifier is Returned several times.

Kennel

This topic is 6546 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have three databases, each of which could contain a record or records that may list the same Version Code in one to seven fields.

My users needed a tool so that they could locate a version code by searching all seven fields of all records in all three databases. I built relationships between these three databases so that in a fourth database the user only needs to key in the version code they wish to locate.

When this version code is keyed in, the portals I defined get populated with the record identifier of the first record in which the version Code is located. If it is located in 18 records, that same record identfier appears 18 times.

How can I get all 18 record Identifiers to appear in my portals instead of the first one 18 times?

Thanks.

I have three databases, each of which could contain a record or records that may list the same Version Code in one to seven fields.

It sounds like it may be more than just a display issue. Kennel, those three databases should probably be one. And the multiple fields (seven) should be related records to the ONE database. If you find yourself jumping through hoops to display and use your data, it usually means incorrect structure. Yes, it would help to know your relationships here. Can you provide a file?

Nonetheless, sometimes you will get an incorrect portal display if the fields WITHIN the portal are mis-specified. Have you verified that the fields are based upon the same relationship as the portal?

LaRetta :wink2:

This is not so easy to explain, if you take a look at the migration foundations whitepaper and see on page 33 is it explained a little convoluted that relationgraphs have two tasks to perform namely to provide datastructure as well as acting as querry maker ...and that you in essence need more TO's to do both, than a dedicated ER would indicate. So it's not as much a relational problem as it's the way the graph behaves.

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/techbrief_fm8_migrtn_found.pdf

Very much to our luck do we have free access to a more down to earth explanation:

http://previews.filemakermagazine.com/videos/541/GraphRules_full.mov

--sd

This topic is 6546 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.