Server Maintenance This Week. ×

how to put the same text on multiple layouts?

Laurel

This topic is 6542 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi!

I have a database with many layouts. Each layout has the same title text, graphics, and buttons across the top.

As it stands, if I ever want to change any part of that, I have to go through and change each layout, one by one. Is there some way to put this title text, etc. in some sort of header, so that if I change it once, it changes on every layout?

Thanks!

Aaahhhh, wouldn't master layouts be a dream! Place a value on a master layout and subscribe each layout you want to contain the same objects. Unfortunately, this is just a dream right now. Usually, I just place the text on the layout and make sure it is correct. If you want, you can use a global field so you only have to change the text value in one place. Beware of the limitations of globals. If you save a clone of your file, the data will be lost. If you change the value of a global from a guest in a multi-user scenario, the changes is local to the current workstation. If these limitations don't bother you then use a global field.

You can achieve this with global containers and global buttons inside of portals. I am using this technique for a POS system. It has the ability to change graphic themes globally across multiple layouts.

This topic is 6542 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.