Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How Do I calculate a value list to display in a report layout

This topic is 6545 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hey,

I am new to FM and I want to calculate some fields and am COMPLETELY lost. I have a value list of Yes NO and "_". I need to know how many people said YES, how do I go about creating a calculation to accomplish this task and every time I run the report for it to update on its own?

I know this is trivial but I am learning....

• Newbies

Thx for answering so quick...unfortunately I am unable to download files at work. Our IT area doesnt allow it , VERY SECURE (cant even access certain websites without written permission)and anything with a .zip attached to an email is out also, could you possibly paste the answer into your reply?

I made the sample because I couldn't explain the solution as it's too long to describe for your skill level. If your request is work related then you must be allowed more web freedom or ask IT to get the download for you.

If it's a home thing then you can download at home.

• Newbies

Thx so much...I will go home and download it. It doesnt matter if I need it for work or not they still wont let anyone download files. This is the most secure firewall I have ever worked at, the IT Director was from Lockheed, hence the security. Thank you again so much I really appreciate it and I will save it on a file at home and then bring it to work to look at it.

There's no point in having a firewall like this when you can simply circumvent it by bringing a disk (or other means) in from outside.

This is exactly how systems are compromised. My advice to you is get your FMP running at home and use it there as I suspect the penalties for compromising your IT systems will be severe.

FileMaker was designed to create reports using subsummary parts. They are much more flexible than calculations and summary fields. What if there were 100 possible choices in the field instead of just Yes and No. This technique would require 100 calculation fields and 100 summary fields. I would highly recommend learning how to use subsummary parts.

Start by creating a new blank layout. Double-click on the Body part and change it to a subsummary part. Choose to sort or break the subsummary part by the Yes/No field. Place a summary field that counts the Yes/No field in the subsummary part along with the Yes/No field itself.

When you are ready to see the report, sort the database by the Yes/No field and either preview or print. The report will not show in browse mode.

With this approach, nothing needs to be added to the report if a new value is added to the field being reported on. With the calculation approach, each new value will require two new fields.

• Newbies

Thanks, I agree the firewall can easily be compromised by many means, sometimes being too secure can make no sense and cause more issues...I digress.

John Mark - I talked to you yesterday via email, this is cool you go thru the forums and help people out. Thx for the tip I am going to try it, I am thinking I may be using FileMaker the hard way. Hopefully me joining the forums will help my skill go up.

Thank you both I really appreciate it

I cant even use color becasue i think its a pop up....

• Newbies

I am so excited, I was finally able to look at your template and IT WORKED GREAT. I am so happy, you dont know how excited I am.

THANK YOU SO MUCH....THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

You are the man...

This topic is 6545 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.