Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Conditional Value Lists

Polyphony

This topic is 8668 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am a beginning user of FileMaker 4. I have a two fields in my database: Application and Version. Application is a pop-up that lets you choose Photoshop, Outlook, IE, etc. I want Version to be a popup relevant to whatever application was chosen.

For Example, when the user chooses Photoshop from the Application popup, the version popup only shows 5.5, 5.0, 4.0.1 etc. But when the user chooses Outlook Express, the version popup shows 4.5, 4.0, etc. Is there any way to do this? It would be soooo helpful and save a whole lot of time. Any ideas?

yes, this is possible, it's not super complicated, but you can see it first hand by downloading a file that shows you how at this site www.databasepros.com then go to resources and then search for conditional value lists. there is a file for this exact thing. i've used it, and it can be confusing, but this shows you how.

good luck

• 4 weeks later...

This is very simple. Set-up a new relationship to the same file. Application on the left side to application on the right side. Define a new value list, use values from field, select only related values, and choose that relationship you just created. Use the value of the version number. Then set your version field to a pop-up list with this new value list you just defined. Now it will only list those versions based on whatever application you choose.

HTH

Ryan

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by ryan93 (edited August 07, 2000).]

This topic is 8668 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.