Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Printing one letter at a time

mikimonster

This topic is 6546 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hiya. I have a printing script set up such that when I hit the print icon it should spit out a standard thank you letter. And it does, but it only prints the first letter of the first person that I hit the print icon for. How do I get the script to print the record of the contact person I am actually viewing?

I have the script set up this way:

Go to Layout ["Thankyouletter" (Donors)]

Print Setup [Restore]

Print [Restore]

Thanks!

Is the letter's layout based on a different table occurence than the one you were on when you hit the button? If so, you'll need a Go to Related Record [] script step in there.

Hmm. Sorry, not to Filemaker saavy. Let me try again. I have a Donor Table in which I create a new record for each person who has given us money. Each record has a print button (as part of the layout, of course). I created a separate letter layout with merge fields from the Donor layout.

The hoped for action is this: After I fill out Mr. X's information, I would like to be able to hit that print button, have Mr. X's info merge into the letter that I have created and then print.

Thanks for your help by the way.

If your view/entry layout is based on the same table occurence as the print layout, then your print script as it is would either print a letter for the current record, all records, or a blank letter, depending on the option that's chosen in the Print Dialog (under FileMaker Pro).

But you said it prints a single record that's not the current record, which is why I suspect the two layouts have different table occurences as their source (check this under Layout->Layout Setup, and see what it says for 'Show records from:').

Maybe you can clarify, or post a zipped clone of your file.

Looking under Layout/LayoutSetup

My layout Name is : Letter

Show Records From: Donor

I belive this is set up correctly in that the letter is pulling info from the Donor table. I've tried inserting Related Record and Record/Request into the print script but neither has worked. It still pulls record person #1. If I set the printer settingi to print ALL, then all records appear. I suppose I could always batch print. However. I was hoping to just print one at a time.

I would zip a copy of the database for you, but it's huge.

This topic is 6546 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.